17 Apr How to Choose the Right Detox Center
If you are struggling with a drug or alcohol addiction, admitting you need help is the first step in the long road to recovery – but it’s often challenging trying to figure out how to begin your healing process. A qualified detox center is often the best way to set the stage for the later phases of rehabilitation. However, because there are many options to choose from, it’s essential to understand how to find the right facility to meet your needs.
When Is Detox Necessary?
Detox facilities provide a safe, comfortable and medically supervised setting in which to rid the body and mind of the toxic chemicals associated with drugs or alcohol before moving on to another facility such as an inpatient treatment center. Medical detox helps people manage unpleasant and sometimes dangerous withdrawal symptoms with around-the-clock monitoring by clinical professionals.
Symptoms of drug or alcohol addiction can vary substantially from person to person. However, here are some of the indicators that you have a problem and should seek help.
- Drinking or using drugs has become a regular occurrence.
- It is taking increased amounts of the substance of choice before you feel the effects.
- You spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about drinking or using drugs, or how to get your next dose.
- You use alcohol or drugs to feel normal or to cope with daily stresses.
- Alcohol or drugs have led you to engage in riskier behaviors.
- Work, school or family responsibilities are taking a backseat to the addiction.
- You are experiencing legal or financial problems due to alcohol or drug use.
If one or more of these indicators are present, the next step is finding the right detox facility.
Things to Consider When Deciding on a Detox Center
As you are comparing your options, use these criteria as a starting point to help you narrow down your choice.
- The credentials and experience of the staff
- The program’s reputation and rate of success
- The location of the center
- Services offered
- Types of addiction treated
- Whether the program is medically supervised
What to Expect During the Detox Process
When you arrive at a qualified detox facility, a doctor will evaluate you to determine whether clinical detox is appropriate for your condition. A tailored detoxification plan will then help you transition safely off drugs or alcohol. Depending on the severity of your withdrawal symptoms and cravings, your treatment plan may include medications to minimize the risk of relapse.
Once your condition has stabilized, you will receive a referral for the next phase of your treatment, usually to an inpatient residential setting. Extended treatment allows people in recovery to identify and explore the root causes of the addiction, including any co-occurring mental health disorders such as depression, anxiety or PTSD.
Take the First Step in Your Recovery
For many, a detox program lays the groundwork for a successful addiction recovery. Understanding how to choose the most appropriate detox center can make a world of difference in your success. With the right program, not only will you effectively eliminate the toxins from your body, but you will reboot your mindset and make a fresh start so the long-term process of addiction recovery and healing can begin.
Do you need help in finding the right detox center for yourself or someone close to you? Don’t wait another day. Contact Inland Detox’s admission specialists anytime to help you start a lifetime of sobriety.